7.30.2012

Writers Apocolypse Day 3


Day 3

The secretary was back again today, Bossman put her into the frontlines as soon as she arrived in the building.  So I had nothing to do today, I just had to write something.  Something…I typed in the letter “A” on the screen.  I strained my eyes and tried to think of words to follow.  But the cursor just blinked beside the “A”, making it look like Al.  Awesome.  I ran my finger tips across the keyboard back and forth, creating the illusion that I was actually typing really fast.  I did this for a good minute, and got bored again.
Then I decided to drop in next door to see what Zareen was up to, since my eyes started to turn to saltines.

“What’s up Zareen!”
She was a little startled and typed in “opasdfjo[” onto her blank document.
“He-ey Spencer.”  She said.
“I see you have done quite a lot there.”  I cracked.
“I decided to trash my old story, it wasn’t too good.”
“I see…”

There was an awkward silence.  We just looked at each other, then our eyes danced around the room.  Fluorescent light, pen, stapler, perforated ceiling tiles, there is chopsticks holding together Zareens hair.  Ohh,  that’s cute.  Which gave me the sudden impulse to ask.

“Do you like Chinese food?”
“No, Im allergic…”
“Oh im so sorry.”  I felt bad, and tried to look empathetic.
“Just kidding” Zareen smiled.  “I love it”.
These people and their dry sarcasm… fools me every time.
“Oh that’s good.”

Stupidity ran across my face like a flashing SOS beacon.   I felt like a dumb brick, a really dumb brick that was dropped many times before it was put into a buildings foundation that recently tumbled because of a lack of structural integrity.

“I don’t mean to interrupt your trance, but do you want to go out for some later, possibly, maybe?”
“Yea, sure!  I mean, but we’re so busy.”  I said.
“She motioned her eyes towards her monitor and said, “I think we could manage.”

I gave her a nervous smile and a nod, and quickly returned to my fortress of solitude, which was only an inch thick barrier between us.  I felt funny, I think the coffee was especially atrocious today.  I will need to have a talk with Stacy.

No comments: