10.10.2018

Overthought Lines

When I tackle a design project I always overthink it first.  I suppose it is my way of getting all the information out so I can subconsciously use it later on.  When I'm concentrating too much on what I'm doing sometimes it's easy to forget how to breathe.  And your brain needs oxygen to work, even when it's not buzzing with thoughts about perspectives and lines.

So, looking at past examples of the postcard designs, about 50% had a sandwich in them.  I decided to keep the sandwich.

I started off simple, then was like no...that doesn't look right. Nor does that.  And I used pen.  Which it looks so nice when you get it right.  But when you get it wrong...damn  it's hard to fix a hard black line going in the wrong direction.  This is like "destructive editing" in Photoshop...which I also do out of bad habit because it takes longer to make masks and multiple layers.  Or at least at the time it feels so.



Do you know where I messed up here and tried to cover?  Her nose.


How about here?  Her hand.  And perhaps that tongue is too large.


I started to go abstract.

Then even more abstract.
Maybe I should not use pen.


Okay. I used pen. But only to measure the boundaries so I knew my sketch would be to scale.  I found a pencil, and while it has a different stylistic approach.  It's a sketch.  Anyway, I like it.  I should use pencil more often.

(To add 3 composition exercise later)


Ha ha, destructive editing at it's best.  I overwrote this file already.  So the grids are here to stay.


This was more experimental.  I wanted to change this text around.  But again due to my stellar editing skills i cut up the photo so much that I'd have to start from scratch.



 I like this one.

No comments: