10.10.2018

Bee-lieve in Yourself

I went to a K-pop concert over the weekend.  A friend of mine had an extra ticket and I thought to myself that would be a new experience.  Why not?  BTS was playing and this was the first time a major artist from Korea had a tour here in the states.  Gotta represent my Asian brethren.

My mom is Filipino.

Well, after the trek to Queens Citi Field we grabbed a bite to eat because I was so hungry I could of had a small hotdog eating contest.  I settled with the 'shroom burger at Shake Shack and wayyy to manny fries.  I even kept eating other peoples fries after they turned cold.  I couldn't stop.  It was a french fry loop with no stop condition.

Then the band emerged with fireworks, smoke, dazzling lights.  The audience purchased these handheld light objects that seemed to work in sync.  I'm guessing, location sensor to run a coordinated light show.  All I kept thinking was ICM ICM P COMP P COMP.





So back to bees.  Bees are objects, flowers are objects....I am an object?  Sounds a little lacking when I use it to describe real life things.  I started this assignment in last class knowing I wanted to control the direction of the bee.  MouseX and Y was the easiest to program.  While it would be fun to turn the orientation of the bee with the keys, change speed based on how long each key was pressed, and then add some cool effects, my main focus was to make my object look like something familiar and not turn my brain into mash potatoes this week.  The initial bee was easy to create.  But I wanted something extra –moving wings.  This is where my brain was tested in math, for 2 hours before I found the eureka moment and made the wings stay on the bee for one, then I could change the speed they flapped at with a few tweaks.

(I wish I could insert my reaction to when it finally worked, maybe I should set up a reaction cam while I code to capture these moments)

The rest was the flowers the bee would interact with.  Originally nice purple orbs, I wanted something to look like a flower.  Aha! I'll just use an image of one.





While I knew how to call a single object.  To call multiple ones in an array was a little abstract for me.  My previous projects did not have a need for "For Loops" but with creating multiples of one object, it was kind of unavoidable. 


I looked at previous examples of arrays, and got it to work for my program.  But...looking at it... I get it, but it still needs some time to sink in.  I decided to backtrack a bit and relearn the foundation.  Breaking it back down to a "While Loop" on a notepad seemed to help me visualize what-did-what.  I re-watched some of the earlier video tutorials and it cleared it up a little more.  I just need to keep using arrays until it becomes a muscle memory.  They make my life easier and they are important.  Right?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished.  It's got a little of a story.  I named the variables some fun terminology to help me remember what did what.  As the game progresses it kind of makes a beautiful picture full of flowers.

My Bee Program

I like it!

As a bonus here is a bunch of girls losing their shit at this neat dance move:

No comments: