9.19.2018

VL signage

What defines a good sign?  To me, it has to look nice. But it's easier to say that to myself than to other people.


The good 'ole P sign.  I see this symbol everywhere in New York.  It's simple and sticks out.  It doesn't need explanations because of the context of where it is put.  You put it on a parking machine, and it makes sense.  The color scheme though?  Maybe too much like the handicap sign.  Also, I'd encourage them to use it in all parking signs,  as you see below:
This is an another example of a sign we looked at class.  I find that it's hard to critique in this way because it's intended for drivers –hence the angle of the sign in relation to the sidewalk is slanted.  Looking at it from a pedestrians point of view would be the wrong intention.  It's hard to make a parallel orientated sign for a driver because they would only see it as they were passing by it.  In essence, taking the driver's eyes off the road longer than they should be.  I think they did the best with what they got, New York has so many parking rules it's crazy.  I had a car here for a short bit and every time I parked I was filled with doubt and imagined getting my car towed or booted.  That logo on the truck behind the sign is nice though.  Moving company with an arrow. Simple, bold sans serif font.  Crisp color.  And I like green.


A temporary construction sign.  They didn't angle this one and just made it perpendicular to the road.  Kind of funny.  I like the symbols on the sign above it.  It's direct and uses just enough text to tell you what it means.  But also, why is the car orientated a different way from the bicycle?  It lacks consistency for sure.



Again, I'm a sucker for symbols.  The dog is cure, but also since living here, it took me a long time to figure out what on earth does it mean to curb your dog?  It may be a little obscene to depict it going to the bathroom.  Or maybe it is in this sign cause it is squatting?  Either way it's a little too ambiguous.



Some people in class brought up the confusion of the bus sign.  I agree that top bus symbol could be altered a bit but the symbol for bus is pretty recognizable.  The color codes apply to routes, but it would be better if the buses themselves carried those color codes.  It's halfway there I'd say.


I just liked this a lot.  A simple tap with a water droplet to demonstrate water flows out of here.  The company has to put it's branding somewhere and the textured face looks like part of the brick wall instead of drainpipe intruding on the look of brick.  Brass material gives a feeling of class and it ages as it weathers to match the wall.


It's hard for signs to be perfect in an a city that has an imperfect infrastructure.  And that really all boils down to cost and politics.  Should our tax dollars go into updating all the signs because it would be a more pleasant experience for the few seconds you stare at it to get the meaning?  To a designer, yes.  To a designer on a budget, might be a different story. 

No comments: