9.18.2018

ICM week two

You know, it's easy to burn yourself out.  I found that out pretty quickly when I went to the floor to work on my assignment right after class.  "I'm going to be the model student", I thought.

I stared at my monitor and the code.  I know what it meant, and I understood it, but my brain refused to take action.  A wall so imaginary I couldn't even picture it, but my body felt it.

Behind this wall I sat, thinking of what I could do?  What I wanted to do with the lines of text in front of me?  I shut my laptop and had a cigarette.  Another drink of water.  Used the restroom.  Another cigarette.  I was still stuck.

That is when I decided to roam the room and check in with other people.  Many of them were faced down in their assignments working hard to make their image a reality.  I asked them what they're doing, and what they wanted to accomplish.  They were so interesting, and enthused, I'd offer my perspective to break the driving focus they had and look up and around.  An electronic glove, a puzzle crafted of wood, a sound journey, an animation cut from paper.

All of them filled me with inspiration, fuel that I realized I lost when I dove into my work head first without getting up to breathe some air.  I walked home and decided I needed a break too.

Fill in Friday–Sunday with good friends and slight irresponsibility.

When I came in on Monday I rushed to the ICM help session after work.  It was there too I realized that most the questions came from people who already started their projects.  I got a feel for the if function though.

I decided to scrap thinking of something new and picked up with a project I was messing around with in class.

This was built just to use the mouseY and mouseX to dictate the green and blue colors of the shapes.  In effect, it was reactive to the user input.



Here is me trying to figure out an "and" statement for the first time.  I wanted make a less than or equal to 400 but p5js didn't seem to like both symbols next to each other like that.  And i tried multiple versions of && but could not get it right.



Here is me trying if statements and not getting the expected result.  You can also see I switched to dark mode, because you know...my eyeballs.


Back to more fun things I just made more shapes to satisfy me.


Trying to make an if statement but it wasn't responding how I wanted it to.


 Andddd this is where I found the Z axis and rotating function most pleasing.  Put everything at random and let the computer do the fun calculations for you.



Mesmerizing



End!

No comments: