5.11.2012

An excerpt from my novel (in progress)


With a snap of his fingers the candle wicks sparkled and cracked.   The old man commanded the air to lift off his coat and place it folded neatly on a nearby table.  A reminiscent odor of last night’s of dinner tainted the air.  William was tired of beef and cabbage, or cabbage and beef every night.  Even the smell made him depressed.

“Hello, Kyle.”
“Who's Kyle? And who are you?.” William answered scanning the room for the voices origin.
“Oh man, I forgot it again. oh well!  I guess i better show myself.”

Suddenly, A cold gale filled with fragmented color swept the room revealing a moonlit creature before him. 

“What is your name?” it asked.
“...William-“
“Oh what a great name!” The mysterious creature’s wings fluttered with delight until one of them flickered out and turned dim.  She fell on her bum as a result.

“Sorry still gettin’ used to the new wings.  By the way, can I call you Will?”

“Why are you in my home.” he said sternly

“Oh shoot, I completely forgot to introduce myself. Name’s Adeline.  I am here to ask for your help.”
“Help with what?”

“Ohhhkay, let me show you.”

Adeline twirled her body in very exotic poses imitating the most ferocious beasts in Averlast.  She flashed her powder coated nails, and thrashed her purple-blue locks of hair back and forth leaving Will, very perplexed.

“Are you ok?”  Will asked, disrupting Adeline’s ritual.

“Y-yes, I’m trying to project this message on your wall here.  But it must be your wall, because the solar pixies are being very stubborn right now...  Oh well, I guess I’ll just tell you the boring way.  We need your help to save our home.  I’m a Hydragein, Hydran for short, from DelCannon city –the Florite section.  And we are all in a real smelly brickle.  The city has quarantined our section off to protect the rest of DelCannon from attack.”

“Attack?” Will’s interest level dropped as he pulled up a chair and yawned.

“Let me finish my story Will! C’mon! Anyway, We have been building new bathes to aid with the growing population of Hydrans in our area. But the shipments of our ethereal water can’t keep up, we had no other choice than to tap into Lavender Woods to increase supply.  We have been careful to not upset the woods.  But the woods are greedy, and have started a full attack on our city.”

“Please take a seat, you look restless.”  Adeline acknowledged and sat across the table from Will waiting in anticipation for his answer. “Now, Adeline, you mean to tell me that you got involved with the Lavender woods, just to get some fancy water?  What is wrong with the water from the streams that run by?  It is simply ludicrous that a Haadra-nay-den would risk death for a simple cup of water.”

Adeline stood up knocking her chair backwards and slamming her palms against the table. "HYDRANS".  Her wings fluttered with intensity shedding moon flecked dust and the smell of burnt ash.   

“WE NEED THIS WATER TO LIVE.  Without it our skin will dry out and we become so brittle that the heavy breathing of an Oxcart can blow us to bits.  We are Hydrans.  Our ancestors were part mermaids, and that’s why we need to be hydrated in a special bath once every 2 weeks.  Normal water won’t hold us out for more than 10 minutes.”

“I’ve never heard of a Hydran, I think you’re full of it little lady.”

“LITTLE? ‘Scuse me I’m tall for my people.  You should see my grandma, you’d break your old flimsy back trying to bend down and get a good look at her.”

Will grew weary of this who ordeal occurring before him.  He started to walk up the creaking stairs.  “I’m tired, go away.”

Adeline stood there for a moment watching her chance slowly disappear up the steps.  But she had a trick up her sleeve....





I have more but, this would be a teaser yea?  It's one of my character introductions.   who would of thought...me writing more than 10 pages for myself? ha ha ha.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: