2.18.2019

Heavy Metal

The smell of oil reminds me of working on cars back in jersey.  The intricate machined bits underneath the hood all spinning and whirring in unison.  A mechanical marvel, even if it isn't the most efficient mechanism created.  The turn of the metal lathe reminded me of all the the pulleys rotating through the timing belt.




The metal lathe, final impressions?  Fun machine, this one is a little "out of tune" so to say but it was able to accomplish this little top hat nicely.  I was a little startled when my aluminum block fell off the chuck somehow.  I tightened that thing pretty hard, you can still see the indents on the final piece.  I've seen worse, so no trauma here.  I also like standing to the side of the machine instead of head on. It feels more natural when spinning the "wheels" and I can get a more consistent speed.  Also, I'm out of the pathway of any rogue bits of aluminum.

No comments: