3.13.2019

Arrow of light

I had a few goals in mind when thinking of a light fixture:
Brass
Lens


After ordering parts it turns out they forgot my lens order completely, leaving me to improvise on my original design.  It probably saved me some headache of fabricating a way to mount the lens, however, I had to start the diffusion design over again.

Until I got to that point I decided to build the rest of the lamp.  I know I wanted it to hang elegantly in the air so I mounted steel cables on it.


Bulb selection was interesting and daunting.  I've always liked the look of halogen bulbs, but then quickly realized that it would burn up most of my diffusion options (literally).  So I tested a few LED bulbs and found one with quite a nice fade!

I machined a couple of holes (don't listen to the sound unless you're into that kind of thing)



Then, I bent the brass tubes I bought and soldered the ends to create the familiar lamp harp shape.  Still not knowing what type of shade i'd place over it.



Finally, I found some unused patterned paper at home that I thought would look nice with the gold tones of the brass.


Side note: don't use gorilla glue that has lost its cap long ago, it will never dry and gunk up your hands.


Finished product and video:



Final thoughts:

It was nice to combine different knowledges I had to create something.  While ITP gives you the appetite to constantly perfect and strive for the ideal imagination of a project.  I also never created a lamp before.  So there is that!

No comments: